Sunday, February 27, 2011

Remote Management for Hyper-V

As part of my virtual lab project, I want to be able to manage my virtual machines from my lap-top. It’s usual practice in most organisations to only remote in to servers when absolutely needed, so I’m going to take the same approach at home (may as well replicate a real environment as much as I can!).

First things first, I’m going to need the Hyper-V MMC snap-in for Windows 7. The remote server administration tools (RSAT) can be found on MS here;
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d2f6ad7-656b-4313-a005-4e344e43997d&displaylang=en
Once you’ve installed that, you’ll need to enable the hyper-v features using the ‘Turn Windows Features on or off’ link in Programs and Features in control panel.

Next you’ll need to configure the hyper-v role on the server to allow you to administer it remotely; by default, if you add the server to the hyper-v manager in Windows 7, you’ll get an error stating you don’t have permissions. In my set-up, the virtual host and my lap-top are both workgroup computers, any domains I set-up will be at the guest level. Getting it to work when both computers share a domain is straight forward, when they’re in a workgroup, not so much. A quick Google search pointed me to HVRemote, a script written by John Howard. His blog can be found here - http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/ and the script can be found on MSDN here - http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote.

Following the instructions for workgroup-workgroup configuration on the MSDN page – and it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment